|
Trending Topics
|
Houthis Say They Attacked Saudi Tankers in Red Sea, Threatening New Chokepoint in Iran War
(Reuters) Yomna Ehab - The Iranian-aligned Houthis said on Thursday they struck two Saudi oil tankers as part of a naval blockade on Saudi Arabia, threatening to create a second chokepoint on global oil supplies alongside the Strait of Hormuz. The Yemen-based Houthis control areas near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait on the opposite end of the Arabian Peninsula from the Strait of Hormuz. The Houthis identified the tankers as the Encelia and the Layla. A maritime security source said Encelia had transmitted a distress call, reporting it had been struck by a missile in the Red Sea late Wednesday. The Houthi threat to impose a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia could significantly widen the war.