|
Trending Topics
|
Source: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/ryx90sldzg
Netanyahu, Kushner Agree Hamas Must Disarm before Gaza Reconstruction
(Ynet News) Itamar Eichner - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met for four hours Monday with U.S. envoy Jared Kushner to discuss a framework for ending the war in Gaza. An Israeli diplomatic official said the sides agreed that reconstruction would not begin until Hamas had been disarmed throughout Gaza. A Board of Peace official said, "Within a few weeks, Hamas will have to show real and concrete steps that it is actually beginning to disarm....If it does so, that is a very positive step. If not, it will be clear to everyone that it does not actually intend to implement what it signed. In that case, Israel will have international diplomatic backing to act to disarm Hamas. The Israelis are going to give this a chance. Now it depends on Hamas to show whether it really intends to comply." Netanyahu told the meeting that anyone involved in the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led massacre would remain a target, as would anyone posing a threat to Israeli troops. An Israeli diplomatic official said, "Kushner used the phrase, 'I won't interfere with how you protect yourselves.'" The Israeli official added, "There was an approach that wanted to begin with pilot programs, but now there are no pilots. Hamas must demonstrate the destruction of weapons." Israel also insisted that any disarmament process must prevent Hamas from turning over defective or unusable weapons to create the appearance of compliance. Israeli security officials presented Kushner with extensive intelligence on conditions in Gaza and Hamas's efforts to rebuild its capabilities. The presentation included intelligence that Turkey is financing Hamas.